Dubai driving license overview
Anyone who is a resident of Dubai and over 18 years old can apply for a driving license. Applicants who have never driven before must complete training at an authorized driving school in Dubai. Find out more about getting a driver’s license in Dubai below.
Documents required for getting a driving license
The following documents are required for getting a license in Dubai:
• Passport (original & copy) including residence stamp page
• No-objection certificate from employer or sponsor
• 8 passport size photos
Authorized driving schools in Dubai
Steps to obtain a driving license in Dubai
1. Get an eye test done either at your driving school or at an optician’s office.
2. Submit paperwork to driving school which includes:
a. Copy of passport, Emirates ID card and valid visa
b. Eye test report
c. Passport sized photos
d. A no objection letter from employer or sponsor
3. Receive temporary driving license and pick dates for eight hours of theory class.
4. After completing theory classes, you can apply for your theory test.
5. After passing your theory test you will be assessed on your driving skills. Then you will need to complete a certain number of hours of driving practice including using a simulation machine.
6. Apply for road test.
Driving theory test
The theory test must be completed at an authorized driving school. Be sure to bring a relevant ID, 2 passport sized photos and the theory test fee of 200 AED.
The test is 35 questions and includes topics about road signals, safe driving and hazards. The first 17 questions are about general traffic situations and candidates must answer 11 or more to pass. The remaining 18 questions focus on the specifics of the driving license the candidate is applying for. For this section, 12 or more correct answers are required to pass.
Driving road test
The road test consists of a driving test to assess driving and anticipatory skills. Required documents for the road test include a valid ID, driving file, passport sized photos and the road test fee that is around 200 AED. The test will be conducted with a Dubai Road and Transport Authority inspector.
If you pass the road test, you will need to collect the approval paper from your inspector and head to the Pass Counter. Submit this paperwork with an ID as well as the 100 AED fee. Then collect your test file and submit it to the Control Counter. From here you will take a photo and shortly after receive your driving license for Dubai.
If you fail the road test, you will be required to sign up for at least 7 more classes at your driving school and then retake the road test.
How to convert a driving license in Dubai
If you are from the countries listed below you are eligible to transfer your driving license:
• South Korea
• New Zealand
• Saudi Arabia
• South Africa
• United Kingdom
• United States
Fees and documents required to convert driver’s license in Dubai
The following documents and fees are required for converting your driver’s license in Dubai:
• Passport for residents (original & copy)
• Residence permit copy
• Current driving license (original & copy)
• One passport sized photo
• Eye test certificate
• Transfer fee of 360 AED
• No objection fee from employer or sponsor
• Translation for driving license if required
• Consulate letter to verify that the license is genuine (for Canadians only)
Steps required to convert driver’s license in Dubai
1. Obtain eye test certificate.
2. Bring all above mentioned documents and go to the Dubai Traffic Departments located in Al Ghusais.
3. Fill out application form and submit all documents.
4. Once documents are signed, take them to the cashier and pay the 360 AED fee to the cashier.
5. Wait for your photograph to be taken.
6. After several minutes, you will receive your license.